2023 Winter Fly Tying
FREE there is no cost to join us.
At the Fly Shop
138 West Main, Perham, MN 56573
If you have tying tools bring them otherwise we have some extra for those that do not have them.
Saturday, February 11, 2023, 9:00 – 10:30 AM
We’ll be tying the Thin Mint Bugger
Hook: Standard streamer hook (here, a Lightning Strike SN3), size 8.
Head: Nickel-color tungsten bead, 1/8-inch.
Weight: Lead-free round wire, .020.
Adhesive #1: Superglue, here Fly Tyers Z-Ment.
Thread: Rusty Brown, 8/0 or 70-denier.
Tail #1: Olive marabou.
Tail #2: Brown marabou.
Tail #3: Black marabou.
Flash: Pearl Flashabou.
Rib #1: Copper Ultra Wire, small.
Rib #2: Pearl Flashabou.
Body: Peacock herl.
Hackle: Rusty brown.
Adhesive #2: Head cement, here Sally Hansen Hard-as-Nails.
Tools: Hackle pliers, whip finisher.
Saturday, February 25, 2023, 9:00 – 10:30 AM
We’ll be tying Ol’ Mr. Wiggley
Hook: Size 4 – 3X long shank straight-eye standard wire
Body: 2mm foam
Underbody: Ice Dub
Tail: Sili Legs (any rubber or silicon legs)
Side Legs: Sili Legs (any rubber or silicon legs)
Saturday, March 4, 2023, 9:00 – 10:30 AM We’ll be tying the Shimmering Minnow By Brian Shumaker
Fish Skull Articulated Fish-Spine 15 mm Shank I use a 1/2″ shank
I use a #2 saltwater hook
Thread 6/0 white
Strung Marabou White, Olive, Burnt Orange
Palmer Chenille Med Pearl
Fish Skull Fish-Mask #5
Fish Skull Living Eyes-Ice
3D Beads: White, Black, Gray, Light olive
Rio Powerflex Wire Bite: 20 lb
Flashabou: Pearl, Silver
Loon UV Clear Fly Finish Thick and Thin
Saturday, March 25, 2023, 9:00 – 10:30 am We’ll be tying the Articulated Complex Twist Bugger by Brian Wise of Fly fishing The Ozarks
2023 Winter Fly Tying Contest
Categories & Dates:
Warm Water Fly (any fly used for warm water fish): Due by January 31st, 2023
Trout Fly (dry, nymph, wet, streamer): Due by February 28th, 2023
Open Category (Your favorite fly): Due by March 31st, 2023
- All submissions must be in by the due date to be judged.
- Only one fly may be submitted by each tier in each category.
- Patterns can be original or non-original patterns.
- There will be one winner from each category.
- All fly entries will be entered into a drawing for the grand prize. One per category per person.
- Entries will not be returned.
- Each category winner: a $25.00 Gift Certificate to Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop
- Grand Prize is a Flymen Company Fly Tester everyone that submits a fly will be eligible for the drawing.
Entries can be sent to:
Front 20 Outfitters
138 West Main
Perham, MN 56573
Include your address, e-mail, and phone number with each entry.
Beginner FLY TYING CLASS
This One Night Fly Tying class is designed for the beginner fly tier as an introduction to fly tying. In this class, we will tie a streamer, a nymph, and a dry fly. In addition, we will introduce students to fly-tying tools, and materials. No experience is necessary to join us for this class. Each class is one night, at our fly shop in Perham from 6:00 pm till 8:30 pm or so.
2023 Class Dates:
- All materials, vises, and tools will be provided for students to use. If you have your own vise and tools, please bring them to the class.
- You will learn the basic fly-tying techniques necessary to tie nymphs, dry flies, and streamers.
- We will explain, the basic tools used in the tying process.
- We will explore a variety of materials so that you become familiar with how they are used.
The Cost of the Class is: $25
Class size is limited, and pre-registration is necessary. Please call the shop at (218) 346-4899 to register.
Trout Unlimited Headwater’s Chapter 642 Bemidji, MN
FREE community fly-tying is scheduled for this winter. Join us in person at the Garden Grill & Pub in Bemidji (111 Central Ave SE, Bemidji, MN 56601). These sessions will be every other Thursday from 6:30 – 8:30 pm. For those planning to attend, please allow ample time for ordering food (45-60 mins).
Don’t worry if you do not have any experience, equipment, or materials. We provide everything you will need for a fun night of tying flies. Tying will begin around 6:00 pm. Please arrive early enough to order food (5:30 pm is recommended).
2023: January 12, 26, February 9, 23, March 9, 23.