Introductory Fly Fishing Classes
Instructor: Doug Harthan, Front 20 Outfitters
Want to learn the sport of fly fishing? This introductory class is designed to get you started in the sport of fly fishing. Fly fishing is a great way to fish not only trout, but big pike, small & largemouth bass, and panfish. Participants, ages 16 and older, will learn the basic principles of fly casting, reading water, fly selection, entomology, knot tying and rigging, equipment, safety and where to fish locally and across the US. After this class, students will be all set to hit the water. This class welcomes those who have never fly fished before and are looking to start or anyone looking to refine your skills. Students are welcome to bring their own equipment, but equipment can be provided as well.. Your fee includes three sessions and a fishing trip at the conclusion of class with a date determined at class. If you have questions or need equipment to be provided, please call Doug at 218.640.3163. Must register with Community education program where the class is being held.
Fergus Falls Community Education
Dates: April 14, 21, and 28, 2021
Location: Fergus Falls School
Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop
Dates: May 5, 12, and 19, 2021
Time: 6 – 8 pm
Location: Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop
138 West Main, Perham, MN 56573
Detroit Lakes Community Education
Location: Detroit Lakes Community Ed
Park Rapids Community Education
Dates: April 20, 27 and May 4, 2021
Location: Park Rapids High School
CO-ED Fly Fishing Schools
May 23, 2021
June 13, 2021
July 11, 2021
Bring your spouse, son, daughter or one of your grandchildren and come join Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop & Guide Service for a fun day of learning the basics of fly-fishing in a fun and relaxed environment.
This one-day class will include topics such as equipment selection, basic entomology, fly selection, need-to-know knots, casting instruction and fishing. Each participant will receive a handout containing information on the topics covered. The class is designed for the beginner angler but is also a great refresher for the intermediate angler. Rods supplied for those who do not have their own rod/reel set-up.
*Minnesota Fishing License required
*Participants should call the Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop at (218) 346-4899 or email @ email@example.com for more information or to sign up & reserve their spot.
Location: Glendalough State Park – From the town of Battle Lake, go 1.5 miles north on State Hwy. #78 and 1.8 miles east on Ottertail Co. Hwy #16 to the park entrance.
Includes BQ lunch, flies, and other terminal tackle as needed and A Lot of Fishing & FUN!!
Classes are limited to 10 participants
Cost: $75 each or $125.00 for two people so bring a friend and save
Fly Fish Minnesota Contest
14 species 14 weeks
Sponsored by Front 20 Outfitters, Adam Aikens Fly Fishing LLC, Northwind Sales & Marketing & Umpqua Feather Merchants
This event is designed to promote the wide range of fly fishing opportunities found in Minnesota and give fly anglers an opportunity to discover some new water and new species of fish. No cost to enter.
1. Anglers can fish any waters within Minnesota.
2. Contest dates: Monday, June 1st and concludes at 12:00 pm on Monday September 7th. Individuals can register at any time prior to the start of the contest or any time during the contest with Front 20 Outfitters. Must register to submit fish for contest.
3. Fly fishing tackle (includes tenkara) ONLY with artificial flies ONLY.
4. Use of watercraft is allowed.
5. Participants must abide by all MN DNR fishing regulations.
6. ID numbers will be assigned and sent via text message/email. Participant will include their ID number with all photos submitted.
7. Photos of each catch must be sent to Front 20 Outfitters via text or email. Include your ID number with each photo.
8. Photos/videos must be CLEAR, and the SPECIES must be clearly identifiable.
9. Please include “selfie” to confirm that you caught the fish.
10. Photos are to be submitted as soon as you can. Photos will be posted on Front 20 Outfitters Facebook page and included in their newsletter.
11. Anglers register and compete individually; however, competitors are allowed to fish together and assist in taking photos.
12. You can submit as many fish as you like but each species will count only once.
13. Prizes will be awarded based on who catches the MOST species during the competition. In the event of a tie, drawing will be held to award prizes.
Trout (all species)
Carp (all species)
Catfish (all species)
Sucker (all species)
Doug & Roxanne Harthan
Front 20 Outfitters Fly Shop & Guide Service
138 West Main
Perham, MN 56573